In the world of B2B manufacturing, competition is relentless, and marketers face a unique set of challenges. It is a highly competitive arena where staying ahead means overcoming hurdles and staying in sync with the latest trends. Astonishingly, 27% of manufacturing marketers find themselves tethered to outdated strategies, which can significantly limit the growth opportunities for firms like yours.
Amidst this landscape, email marketing is a potent weapon at your disposal. Every connection made, every lead generated, takes your business one step closer to success. It has emerged as a game-changer in B2B manufacturing, where effective communication is critical to reaching your target audience.
The purpose of this article is crystal clear: to equip you with actionable techniques that will not only elevate your email marketing game but also pave the way for lead generation success.
In the upcoming sections, we will explore the five essential areas that will empower you to improve your email marketing efforts and fuel your lead generation engine.
Action Item #1: Build a Targeted Email List
Email marketing is not just a tool; it is a B2B powerhouse with a jaw-dropping 4300 percent ROI, according to the Direct Marketing Association. But here is the magic: your email subscribers aren’t random; they are genuinely interested in what you offer. They have willingly joined your list.
To tap into this goldmine, focus on email list building. It is about quality, not quantity. Expand a smaller, targeted list of manufacturing professionals more likely to engage with your emails.
How To Increase Subscribers
Now, let’s get practical. How do you collect and segment email addresses from potential leads in the manufacturing sector? It is about implementing a targeted lead-generation strategy to capture emails through valuable content, landing pages, and lead magnets.
Use well-crafted landing pages and lead magnets.
A lead magnet could be a downloadable e-book, a webinar, or exclusive industry insights. Offer these in exchange for email subscriptions. For example, if your manufacturing company specializes in aerospace parts, offer a comprehensive guide on the latest advancements in aerospace manufacturing.
Offer compelling incentives and exclusive benefits to web visitors.
Persuade them to subscribe to your email list by highlighting what they will gain. For instance, promise exclusive access to product updates, early-bird promotions, or industry reports that can help them stay ahead.
Leverage the power of social media platforms, online advertising, and partnerships.
Collaborate with industry publications or organizations to increase your reach. For instance, you can partner with a manufacturing association to co-host a webinar and promote it across your networks to capture more email addresses.
Optimize your website’s content and strategically place email subscription forms.
Make it easy for visitors to subscribe by ensuring your forms are user-friendly and easily accessible. Consider using pop-ups, exit-intent forms, or slide-ins at relevant points in your website’s content.
Building a targeted email list takes time and effort, but the rewards are worth it. By focusing on quality, offering valuable content, and optimizing your strategies, you will have a powerful tool to drive lead generation in the B2B manufacturing industry.
Action Item #2: Craft Compelling Email Content
When it comes to email marketing, content is king. In 2022, 69% of marketers were still using email marketing to distribute their content, according to the Content Marketing Institute. But here is the catch: your content must be unique and compelling in a digital era where information is abundant, thanks to AI.
Your email content must resonate with manufacturing professionals and guide them through decision-making. There are two ways to ensure your emails will break through the competition of the inbox:
- Create compelling content
- Craft attention-grabbing subject lines
Create Compelling Content
Crafting content that resonates with professionals in manufacturing is your ticket to success. Tailor your content to each stage of the buyer’s journey – whether it is creating awareness, aiding consideration, or facilitating decision-making. Your email is a powerful conduit for delivering content they find valuable right to their inbox.
Here are some examples of captivating email content explicitly designed for the manufacturing industry:
- Case Studies: Showcase how your products or services have been instrumental in helping other manufacturing companies conquer challenges and achieve their goals.
- Educational Webinars and Tutorials: Offer insights into the latest manufacturing techniques through webinars or video tutorials. You are sharing your expertise, which positions you as a valuable resource.
- Industry Reports: Provide industry reports loaded with invaluable insights and trends. Keeping your audience informed about what is happening in their sector demonstrates your commitment to their success.
- Product Updates and Announcements: Keep manufacturing professionals in the loop with product updates or announcements that directly impact their operations. Show them that you understand their needs.
The key is to provide real value and address the specific requirements of your audience within the manufacturing sector. Crafting compelling email content is not just about grabbing attention; it is about keeping them engaged and driving leads.
Craft Attention-Grabbing Subject Lines
Subject lines are the gatekeepers to your email content. They hold the power to convince recipients to open your emails eagerly. Consider these eye-opening statistics:
- 64% of recipients admitted to opening emails primarily due to their subject lines (Barilliance, 2021).
- On the flip side, 69% of recipients quickly tag emails as spam if they are put off by the subject line (Invesp, 2021).
Here are some practical tips for crafting subject lines that demand attention:
- Incorporate Action-Oriented Words: Infuse verbs into your subject lines for heightened engagement.
- Spark Curiosity with Questions: Engage readers by posing questions that pique their interest.
- Cultivate Exclusivity: Foster a sense of belonging with exclusive offers or insights.
- Deliver Clear Offers: Present new, valuable, or discounted offerings without ambiguity.
- Evoke Urgency: Encourage swift action with time-sensitive language and deadlines.
- Harness the Power of Numbers: Use numbers for concise and impactful messaging.
- Convey Concisely: Craft subject lines that deliver the message in 50 characters or less.
- Mind Your Punctuation: Maintain professionalism by avoiding excessive punctuation.
- Use Capitalization Wisely: Capitalize judiciously, following title or sentence conventions.
Remember, every audience is unique. Finding your business’s best email subject lines may require testing and patience. Testing helps you identify what works best and refine your tactics for maximum engagement and high-quality lead generation. When you discover a relevant subject line, stick with it to nurture those valuable connections.
Action Item #3: Automating Email Campaigns for Efficiency
Automation can be your ace in the hole. Streamlining email creation saves time and allows you to replicate successful strategies. Automation is vital for quality lead generation, improved ROI, and increased revenue. Only 22% of manufacturers have ventured into marketing automation; it is high time you change that statistic.
How To Get Started With Email Automation
Automating your email marketing is a breeze with the help of email marketing apps. Here is a high-level overview to give you a taste of how it works:
1. Choose Your Email Marketing Platform: To kick things off, you need user-friendly email automation software. Our preferred platform is Mautic, which offers many other marketing automation tools. We also recommend Hubspot or Active Campaign. Each tool provides you with what you need to quickly set up and automate your email campaigns.
2. Build and Segment Your Email List: Start with a list of subscribers who will receive your automated emails. You can grow your list organically by using signup forms on your website. To make your campaigns even more effective, divide your list into smaller segments based on factors like interests or past behaviors.
3. Set Up an Automation Trigger: Think of a trigger as the spark that ignites your automated campaign. It can be an event or condition, such as someone signing up for your newsletter, engaging with a specific page on your website, or showing a lack of engagement for a certain number of days.
4. Create Compelling Email Campaigns: It is time to design the emails that will be sent automatically. This includes crafting engaging content, adding images, texts, call-to-action buttons, discounts, and incorporating your brand’s logo.
5. Activate Your Automation: Choose the perfect time for your automated campaign to be sent, and then activate it. Once it is up and running, you can monitor its performance to identify improvement areas.
While setting up email automation might seem complex, using the right tools can simplify the process, even if you are starting.
Action Item #4: Segmentation and Personalization
Imagine receiving an email that speaks to something other than your needs or where you are in your buyer’s journey. Did you eagerly open and read it or delete it without a second thought? Chances are, you chose the latter.
To maintain your brand’s power and influence, you must deliver quality and relevant content that keeps you in your prospects’ inbox. By combining segmentation with personalization, you create tailored experiences for each type of customer.
The Power of Audience Segmentation
Segmentation is your secret weapon. It involves identifying similar groups of potential customers based on demographics, psychographics, industry, role, company size, geography, and even online behaviors. Here is a surprising stat: 51% of marketers believe segmenting is one of the most effective email marketing strategies (Instapage).
Why is segmentation crucial? Think of it as a compass guiding you toward the right prospects. It ensures that your message reaches people who are genuinely interested in what you have to offer. No more casting a wide net and hoping for the best. With segmentation, you aim straight for the bullseye.
The Art of Personalization
Now, let us talk about personalization, one of the most significant opportunities we see with our manufacturing clients. Personalization is not about you; it is about your prospects. It is about showing them that you understand their pain points and needs and are here to provide solutions.
But here is the catch: personalization is not just a one-time thing. It is an ongoing process. Every time a prospect interacts with your brand, they expect a personalized experience. Whether it is the content they see on your website or the emails they receive, it should all revolve around their unique intent and needs.
Personalization depends on customer data, creating meaningful segments, and speaking to each individual’s interests. It is about letting your prospects know you see them as more than just a name on an email list.
The Harmony of Segmentation and Personalization
One common mistake is viewing segmentation and personalization as competing strategies. In reality, they complement each other beautifully.
Segmentation tells you whether you should market to a customer in the first place. Once you have segmented your audience, you can personalize the message. Personalization is not about using the prospect’s name in the email copy but crafting messages that resonate with each segment’s unique interests and needs. It is about showing that you know your customers, understand them, and genuinely care about their interests.
Let us imagine a manufacturing company that specializes in providing industrial equipment. They have a diverse customer base, including engineers, procurement managers, and maintenance supervisors, each with unique needs and interests. By segmenting their email list by role, they can personalize content based on the unique needs of each of those roles. For example, the engineer will receive an email with information about a specific product, including technical details and testimonials. Meanwhile, the procurement manager will get bulk pricing and finance options.
In this way, the manufacturing company harmonizes segmentation (dividing the audience by role) and personalization (delivering content relevant to each recipient’s specific interests) to provide a tailored experience for each type of customer. This approach ensures that their emails are more engaging, informative, and more likely to lead to conversions and sales.
Action Item #5: Implement an Email Hygiene Program
Each of the items outlined above impacts the effectiveness of your email program – which is why having accurate data is essential. Bad data can lead to wasted resources and lost opportunities. B2B data decays at a staggering rate of 70% per year, and inaccuracies lurk, with up to 25% of B2B database contacts containing errors.
The Solution: An Email Hygiene Program
An email hygiene program helps clear out invalid emails and disengaged prospects. Firstly, it clears out the cold—the Email Hygiene Program identifies and removes inactive (cold) email subscribers from your list, akin to tidying up your address book and bidding farewell to uninterested prospects. Secondly, it keeps your list warm by promoting healthy email-sending practices. This results in a list of people genuinely interested in your messages. This dual action maintains data accuracy and acts as a protective shield, preventing your emails from being marked as spam.
Actionable Tips for Implementation
- Regular Check-Ups: Make data checks a routine to spot and remove inactive subscribers. This keeps your list fresh and lively.
- Automation is Your Ally: Leverage email marketing automation tools to streamline the process. They help you track engagement and automate the removal of inactive contacts.
- Segment for Success: Divide your list based on engagement levels and behaviors. This lets you tailor messages and identify subscribers needing the hygiene treatment.
- Educate Your Team: Ensure your entire marketing team understands the importance of data hygiene and follows best practices.
By embracing an Email Hygiene Program, you are bidding farewell to bad data and turbocharging your marketing endeavors. It is the key to maintaining data accuracy and boosting email deliverability.
A Warning About Industry Averages
Naturally, you might be curious about how your email efforts stack up against industry statistics, such as average open or click-through rates. It is a common urge to seek a benchmark to measure your performance. However, a crucial point is that industry averages do not provide the complete picture.
Those seemingly straightforward “industry averages” do not account for many variables influencing email success. We do not know how frequently those averages send emails, who their emails are targeting, the level of personalization they employ, the email format, content type, or even the quality of content. The variables are vast, and the context matters immensely.
As outlined above, maximizing your email program encompasses a holistic strategy tailored to your unique needs and audience. Industry averages do not capture this individuality.
Instead, focus on developing your baseline over time. It is a process that requires patience but yields valuable insights into your email effectiveness. Key metrics to monitor include open rates, click-to-open rates, bounce rates, and unsubscribes.
Start by calculating a 3-month average and expand it to a 6-month average as you accumulate more data. The aim is continuous improvement, refining these metrics to reflect your audience’s evolving preferences and your evolving strategies. Ultimately, your unique baseline provides a far more accurate gauge of your email program’s success than any industry average ever could.
In the fiercely competitive landscape of B2B manufacturing, staying ahead of the curve is paramount. Outdated strategies can tether growth opportunities and hinder progress. However, in this dynamic arena, you have a powerful tool at your disposal – email marketing.
This article is dedicated to equipping you with actionable techniques tailored to the manufacturing sector. These strategies are designed to not only elevate your email marketing game but also pave the way for lead-generation success.
At Brilliant Metrics, we specialize in working with B2B manufacturers, helping them craft lead generation and ABM strategies to reach their financial goals. Our expertise can further enhance your email marketing efforts. Sign up for our newsletter to keep receiving valuable content, or schedule a free strategy session to explore how we can assist you in achieving your objectives.