There has been a major shift in the way that digital media is bought and sold, which has opened up a lot of new digital targeting opportunities for marketers. While programmatic is not a new technology, a lot of people are not aware of what it is and how they can use it. A Pulse Study found that one-third of Fortune 500 brands are not using any programmatic techniques. Of those that are using programmatic, 25% of feel they need more education on how to use programmatic techniques.
In this episode, we discuss…
What is Programmatic Media Buying and how it is different?
- Programmatic helps us buy media faster and more efficiently by taking humans out of the equation at certain points. It also opens the doors to more robust targeting.
- DoubleClick Bid Manager, Turn and MediaMath are some of the automated systems that have made programmatic media buying easier.
What is Real-Time Bidding?
- Real-Time Bidding is the buying and selling of ad inventory in real-time auctions. This means the ad is actually purchased at the moment the user is seeing it.
- RTB is an ad space for marketers and doesn’t require human media buyers.
How does RTB and Programmatic add value to our world?
- Programmatic is here and it’s here to stay. It not only has become a staple of modern media buying but is slated to account for 50% of digital ad sales.
- It is the future of media buying for digital, but also TV, display, video, broadcast radio and publications.
- RTB and programmatic allows us to deliver the right ad to the right people at the right time.
- This new technology enables optimizations because we can see rich data of ad performance and can know which targeting methods are working.
How does programmatic fit into Iterative Marketing?
- Programmatic gives us the means to get the right message, to the right person, at the right time — which is a key component of Iterative Marketing.
- Reference: Programmatic Storytelling: How Programmatic is Evolving Traditional Branding
How do I get started?
- The first thing is to find a DSP partner — SiteScout, ExactDrive or BlueAgile — that will allow you to get your toes wet – preferably one that allows you to start small.
- For other references, check out: Real-Time Bidding, Private RTB and Programmatic Direct and why marketers should adopt programmatic marketing.
For more information on the charity in this episode, please visit St. Thomas More High School.