Personas are a key marketing tool digital marketers use to see the world through the eyes of their target audience. In this week’s episode, Elizabeth and Steve explain how personas create a shared vocabulary in organizations while creating focus and personalization in marketing collateral.
In this episode, we discuss…
- A persona is a fictitious person we use to represent a larger audience.
- Personas make up the second actionable component of Iterative Marketing.
- When a persona is documented, it creates shared vocabulary among multiple departments in the organization and with external vendors.
- Organizations can target multiple personas with the goal of corresponding each piece of marketing collateral to one of those personas.
- Six Actionable Components are the actions we take as marketers to implement Iterative Marketing. They don’t have to be implemented all at once. They are:
- Brand Discovery: Uncover how your buying audience feels about your product or service and how they rationalize the decision to buy.
- Persona Discovery: Document the individuals involved in the buying process in a way that allows us to empathize with them in a consistent way.
- Journey Mapping: Plot the stages and paths of the persona lifecycle, documenting each persona’s unique state of mind, needs and concerns at each stage.
- Channel and Content Alignment: Align every piece of content and marketing channel/activity to a primary persona and primary marketing stage, identifying new channels and content needs where opportunities exist.
- Experimentation and Optimization: Conduct thoughtful experiments designed to produce statistically significant business insights and apply the results to optimize performance.
- Reporting and Feedback: Report and review data and insights to drive decisions in content and strategy, as well as information to be used by the organization as a whole.
For more information on the charity in this episode, please visit REINS Therapeutic Horsemanship Program.
The Iterative Marketing Podcast, a production of Brilliant Metrics, ran from February 2016 to September 2017. Music by SeaStock Audio.
Learn more about Iterative Marketing and listen to other episodes on Apple Podcasts, YouTube, Stitcher, SoundCloud and Google Play.